FREE image manipulation program that’s like Photoshop
GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. The terms of usage and rules about copying are clearly listed in the GNU General Public License.
High Quality Photo Manipulation
GIMP provides the tools needed for high quality image manipulation. From retouching to restoring to creative composites, the only limit is your imagination.
Original Artwork Creation
GIMP gives artists the power and flexibility to transform images into truly unique creations.
Graphic Design Elements
GIMP is used for producing icons, graphical design elements, and art for user interface components and mockups.
GIMP is a high quality framework for scripted image manipulation, with multi-language support such as C, C++, Perl, Python, Scheme, and more!
GIMP provides top-notch color management features to ensure high-fidelity color reproduction across digital and printed media. It is best used in workflows involving other free software such as Scribus, Inkscape, and SwatchBooker.
PROS for using GIMP;
- Starting with the most obvious and possibly most important, GIMP is free. Yes free, no charge, nada, zip, zero. Photoshop costs upwards of $700 for a single license! The old saying stays true, if it’s free it’s for me.
- GIMP is a much smaller install, about 20x smaller then Photoshop. Not only does the install go much quicker, but it takes up far less hard drive making it the perfect image editing software for laptops and netbooks where hard drive space may be at a premium.
- Photoshop is extremely resource intensive, it will run on older hardware but it’s not optimized to and will be sluggish and slow. GIMP on the other hand is amazingly fast and stable. It will install on nearly any hardware running Mac, Windows or even Unix!
- Gimp is more user friendly. Photoshop was actually created as a piece of software intended for graphics and photographic editing, never just digital photo editing. Because of this it’s bloated with features and functions most photographs don’t want or need. The physical layout of the screen is similar to that of Photoshop, but is also customizable and flexible to fit your needs.
- Open source architecture means anyone can modify the core code and develop plugins and new features, you don’t need to be approved by Adobes’ development team.
- Batch processing through automated actions is far superior in GIMP. Because photographers often need to do repeatable actions to large groups of images, this feature alone is worth its weight in gold.
- Open, edit and save Photoshop’s native PSD file format with GIMP. If you’re editing for someone else, it doesn’t matter if they’ve started the job in Photoshop because GIMP can handle the file format.
- Free upgrades. Not only is GIMP free to download, install and use, upgrades are free! Photoshop upgrades, which happen on average every 12-18 months can cost as much as $200, on top of the original purchase price!
- Replicate the look and feel of Photoshop and its keyboard shortcuts in GIMP. There are several tutorial sites aimed at skinning and rearranging GIMP to fully replicate the Photoshop layout if that’s what you are used to using.
- GIMP goes portable! As if the install of GIMP wasn’t small enough already, a portable version is available to load on your USB thumb drive to take on the go and edit programs on anyone’s computer, anywhere!
Car dealer website design and layoutsread more
Father’s Day Discount Offer – 25% off all designs including websites, flyers, business cards, roll up banner designs and more.read more
How the Instagram Algorithm Works – The Instagram algorithm was introduced to help surface the best, most relevant content to each user every-time they…read more
Free Podcast Tools – list of Free Podcast tools you will find 15 free tools that you will make your life easier. If you know a Free Podcast tool that is notread more
Cryptocurrency Layouts & Designsread more
Single Page Websites for £100 / Yearread more
Set Up E-mail on an Android Phone for 1and1 hostingread more
Free images of the day – 18th May 2018read more
The WordPress Toolbar is a way of easily accessing some of the most common
How to enable and disable maintenance mode using maintenance by fruitfulcoderead more
How to change out of stock message in woocommerceread more
How to change SKU in woocommerceread more